The City operates under the Council-Manager form of government. The City Council serves as the elected legislative and policy-making body of the City, enacting all laws and directing any actions necessary to provide for the general welfare of the community. The City Council is assisted by five commissions and two committees to advise on matters within specific areas of responsibility. The City Council appoints the City Manager, City Attorney, City Treasurer, and members of all advisory Commissions, Boards, and Committees. The City Council also acts as the governing board for the Public Improvement Corporation, Sanitation Districts No. 28 and No. 34, and the LCF Local Financing Authority.
The City Council has established specific Goals & Objectives for the City, as follows:
- To have a friendly, efficient, responsive City Government;
- To maintain a healthy financial condition;
- To maintain the character of the community: a safe, family-friendly residential community;
- To participate with the School District on issues of common concern;
- To improve the commercial sector and major thoroughfares of the City;
- To provide a safe, healthy environment for the residents of our community; and
- To facilitate the appreciation of the diversity of our residents.
Regular City Council meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 6:00 pm, excluding City holidays.